Monday, January 23, 2012

What I miss about teaching

Every once in awhile, someone will ask me if I miss working/teaching. In a word: Yes. There are lots of things I miss about working.

What do I miss the most?
My teacher friends.
Ag teachers are a special group. There is just something special about someone who is willing to get up before the sun six (sometimes seven!) days a week in the springtime, just to go hang out with a bunch of high school kids. Maybe that's why we get along so well. Mommyhood can be very isolating. Now I'm up before the sun everyday, but it's not for the same reasons!

(Ag teachers don't pose for pictures very often!)


My students.
High school kids are entertaining. If it's not an excuse why they can't do something, it's something they said, did, or tried to do. I used to have a student who would come into my room (EVERYDAY) and draw silly pictures on my board, just for fun. The same student also dubbed herself my "self appointed favorite student". I genuinely liked teaching high school. I know people used to cringe sometimes when I told them I taught high school. It's the Kindergartners that would scare me!



My salary/insurance
I would be lying if I said I didn't miss the extra income we used to have. I thought I stressed about money when we had two incomes! I also really miss our insurance. We have insurance now through Manuel's work, but its not as good as what my school insurance was!


Would I change the ways things are now to go back? Not in a million years . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment